|Title ID||9462||Collection ID||1170|
|Title||The Midhurst Railway|
|Collection||B. C. Suter|
|Keywords||Railway Stations Railways Steam Locomotives Trains Transport Rural Areas|
|Format||9.5mm Black & White Silent|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details|
This intertitled compilation of railway scenes shows steam locomotives on the Petersfield to Midhurst line, that includes the last train journey on the Midhurst Line on 6 February 1955. The film shows close up views of locomotives, stations, platforms, a railway tavern and the surrounding countryside. A series of hand drawn titles open this film.
'The Midi 1864 - 1955 Midhurst Railway'
A map shows a diagram of the branch lines along the route.
Setting off from Petersfield, on the Portsmouth mainline, the train line branches away to Midhurst, with Drummond M7s working push-pull trains throughout the film. There are views of the countryside, the tracks and bridges.The train passes the Railway Tevern and passes through a village and other stations. The train stops at stations at Rogate and Elsted as the line follows the course of the River Rother. As the train leaves the station the Station master waves his flag. At Midhurst Station, the train leaves to head back on the return journey.
Intertitle: 'The Last Train The Spotter's Special 6th February 1955'. People are seen standing on the railway bank to see, and wave off, the approaching train; the RCTS Hampshireman Railtour locomotive; '32576'. Passengers are seen waving back from the carriages. Newspapers are shown with headlines about the line closure. The Hants and Sussex News reads: 'Rail closure effect ...on traders'. The Petersfield Post reads: 'Last Post marked closure of the Midhurst Line. Another edition of The Hants and Sussex News reads: 'Branch Rail Line to be Torn Up'.
The Petersfield Line This line was opened on 1 September 1860 by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR), beating the London Brighton and South Coast by 6 years to Midhurst. This line had two stations on its route, Elsted and Rogate. The LSWR line also had its own separate station at Midhurst, however the Southern Railway closed this in 1925 and moved all traffic to the former London Brighton & South Coast Railway station after strengthening the Bepton Road bridge which until then had not been safe for passenger use. The line closed on 7 February 1955. Unlike the former 'Brighton' station, the LSWR station at Midhurst remains in being, but in use as offices. Rogate station also still stands, but Elsted has been demolished.