|Title ID||7649||Collection ID||1003|
|Title||[Founders Day: Duchess of York at Centenary Celebrations at Spurgeon's Orphan Home]|
|Date||18 June 1934|
|Collection||Chilvers Family [?]|
|Keywords||Children Charities Commemorative Events Royalty Uniforms Performing Arts|
|Format||Black & White Silent|
|Duration||2 min. 44 sec.|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details|
A short Pathe Gazette newsreel showing The Duchess of York at the Spurgeon's Orphan Home Founders Day on 18th June 1934. The children sing and perform choreographed marches to a large audience.
A title reads: "Founders Day: Duchess of York present at Centenary Celebrations, Spurgeons Orphan Home. Pathe Gazette." The Duchess of York wearing a fur stole, gloves and hat receives a bouquet of flowers from a young boy and girl, who curtsey and bow. Panning shot of the seated crowd follows. The audience listens to a large choir of children of mixed ages accompanied by an orchestra . Girls in pinafore dresses and white shirts march in formation with rifles and flags, later performing a marching dance with lengths of fabric.
A home for fatherless boys was opened in Stockwell, London, in 1867, after donations were given to preacher Rev. Charles Haddon Spurgeon. The boys were to be given a Christian upbringing, in line with his suggestions for religious education advovated in an article appearing in C.H. Spurgeon's publication "The Sword and the Trowel". Girls were later accepted to the school, and a home in Margate and later Birchington Hall in Kent were purchased. With the evacuation of children from London at the outbreak of World War II, Spurgeon's London Orphanage closed. All boys moved to Godalming and all girls to St. David's, Reigate. Following the 1944 Education Act, all Spurgeon children were required to attend schools outside the homes. In 1953, all children moved to Birchington, which closed in 1979.