|Title ID||7208||Collection ID||876|
|Title||Brighton: The Marina and H.M.S. Cavalier|
|Collection||B. C. Suter|
|Theme||Wartime and Military Seaside|
|Keywords||Armed Forces Boats Piers [Palace Pier, Brighton] Railway Stations Railways Seaside Resorts Ships Second World War (1939-1945) Harbours|
|Duration||5 min. 7 sec.|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details|
A short informative film about the Royal Navy C-Class Destroyer "H.M.S. Cavalier" (R73), docked at Brighton Marina in 1983 to celebrate its opening. The film, produced by amateur film-maker B. C. Suter, also includes shots of Palace Pier, Volk's Railway line and stations on the beach and views of the new yacht Marina. [Audio is distorted at start]
Commentary opens the film: 'Brighton Marina was constructed at the end of the eastern promenade, at what was formerly called Black Rock.... the visitor would no doubt take the opportunity to ride there on the delightful Volk's Electric Railway, which starts close by the Palace Pier.' Views of the Palace Pier and Aquarium on Brighton Seafront follow.
A poster for the Volk's Railway Centenary is shown, established in 1883. The platform and line are seen, stretching out along the beach at East Brighton towards the Marina. Signs for Brighton's Bathing Beach and Naturalist Beach are shown, 'but as it is out of season however, the beaches are deserted.' The Marina buildings are seen behind Marina Station, the end of the Volk's Railway line, 'and in fact, the line was shortened a little to make way for them'. A ship's figure head is seen, standing in the centre of the road, before the boats and cliffs at the Marina. The Marina's living accommodation and covered jetties are shown. HMS Cavalier, a Caesar Class fleet destroyer, 'launched on the seventh of April 1944, has docked on the other side of the basin'.
A brief history of the ship is provided by the commentary: 'After a busy life and much action in many parts of the world, she was finally laid up on the fifth of January 1972 and sold to the Cavalier Trust on the 4th October, 1977. The 4.5 inch guns are seen, protruding from the front of the ship. Views of shell lockers and the inside of gun turret follow. A board is seen, giving information about the mast. The 'Mast Plan' diagram shows the Surface Air Warning Radar, U. H. F. Radio, Navigational Radar, Navigational Lights, Gunnery Control Radar and Enemy Identification Radar. One of the four 40mm Boafers guns, the deck and lifeboats, are seen. The spare propeller, carried fixed to the deck, now lies on the hard at the Marina. The 4.5 inch gun turret are seen from the stern. A hand-written notice, 'of great help to the visitors', describing the 4.5 inch gun is shown, written in both English and French. The brass cartridge case lies on the gun breach. A notice reads 'Sea Cat Missile Launcher: This missile launch fired Sea Cat missiles at targets detected by the director (one deck above) and the missiles are radio controlled until they hit their target.' The missiles are seen in position on the launcher, their red tips pointed upwards. The squid deck is shown. She has now been towed away to a new berth in the north of England.' The End (music plays briefly over the end title).