|Title ID||6060||Collection ID||848|
|Collection||North Downs Film Unit|
|Theme||Cine Club Film-making|
|Keywords||Industry Workers Men Building Construction Buildings Labour Motor Vehicles|
|Format||Standard 8mm Colour Silent|
|Duration||7 min. 18 sec.|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details|
A documentary following the production of clinker blocks at a Portland Cement Works, produced by the North Downs Cinematograph Society in the mid 1960s.
At a cement works "Ashes and Clinker" vehicle unloads clinker nodules. A Blue Circle vehicle, attached to a silo, empties cement powder onto the mound of clinker. The two materials are mixed mechanically. On the production line, a machine empties the clinker and cement mix into moulds. A worker pulls the now solid blocks out of the moulds. A man pushes a trolley laden with slabs in the yard. Another stacks them in tall piles. A sign reads "The Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers LTD" "C.M.C. Development Division". Another worker inserts a stack of the blocks into a machine to test how much weight the blocks can carry before they start to crumble. A final worker is seen loading boxes of the blocks onto the back of a vehicle.
Clinker was an aggregate and industrial waste product, often mixed with cement to make concrete blocks. The Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers LTD was founded in 1900, amalgamating 24 cement companies and 35 cement works, most located on the Thames and Medway estuaries.