|Title ID||5248||Collection ID||728|
|Title||[Prince, Ramsgate Corporation Horse Retiring to Ranch]|
|Date||1960 - 1961|
|Collection||Enid Briggs pt2|
|Theme||Seaside Rural Life|
|Keywords||Beaches Animals Carnivals Entertainment Charities|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details|
A film of three parts, following a horse called Prince who is shown working on the Ramsgate seaside and as part of a carnival before he is taken to a ranch for retired horses and donkeys, filmed by Enid Briggs in the early 1960s.
The film opens with the title "Prince, Ramsgate Corporation horse for thirteen years 1948-1961". A heavy horse and cart are seen on the beach below the promenade and seaside amusements with its owner/handler [?] in Ramsgate. Prince pulls the cart up onto the promenade where it is petted and fed by passers by. Horse and owner walk along the promenade, past the Tunnel Railway, emptying rubbish bins, passing seaside architecture, advertisements, attractions and businesses.
Intertitle: "Ramsgate Carnival. It rained, but prince leads Widdicombe Fayre" follows. Participants wear large paper mache heads, fancy dress and period costume. A marching band wearing gladiator costumes and a float with carnival queens pass by. Prince follows, pulling the cart and a "Widdicome Fayre" sign, hay bales and balloons.
Intertile: "Arriving at the ranch to retire" follows, in which Prince is seen being walked to "a home for old and retired horses and donkeys". A man takes the horse towards the stables before he is shown into a paddock. Intertitle:"A stroll in the paddock" Prince jumps around joyfully, kicking his legs out in . A Kodak Safety Film leader ends the film.
Passionate about animal welfare and devoted to the rescue of working horses and donkeys, Enid Briggs set up a Sanctuary called The Ranch in 1936. Helped by a team of boys and girls as well as domestic staff including a gardener, groom and chauffeur, Enid cared for the animals until the 1960s.
See [The Ranch; Horses Retirement Home] (5249) for film shot at The Ranch in the late 1930s.