Detail

Title ID 11784Collection ID1502
TitleRamsgate Odeon Classic, Demolition of Herne Bay Cinema
Date1988
CollectionStingemore Family
Genre/TypeAmateurLocal TopicalIndependent AmateurNon-fictionAlbum/Journal
KeywordsBuildings Interiors
Location
LocalRamsgate Herne Bay
RegionalKent
NationalEngland United Kingdom
Credits
ProductionAlan Stingemore
CameraAlan Stingemore
FormatSuper 8mm Colour Sound
Duration00:09:05:00
Copyright & AccessCopyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details.

Summary

This film shows the closed Classic cinema in Ramsgate awaiting demolition, followed by the demolition of the Cannon cinema in Herne Bay.

Description

A amateur film showing the exteriors of two cinema's in Kent - the 'Classic' in King Street, Ramsgate followed by the Cannon cinema in Herne Bay. In the first part we see exterior shots of the facade of the Classic, with a sign above the entrance that states: 'ACQUIRED FOR CLIENTS FOR DEVELOPMENT'.

The shot then cuts to the site of the Cannon Cinema, Avenue Road in Herne Bay undergoing various stages of demolition. Scenes of inside the projection room and the auditorium while the demolition is in progress are followed by a series of views looking out from the auditorium with no back wall, across to the Pier Pavilion on the sea front. Workmen can be seen in some precarious positions while working.

Stills

A still image taken from TID11784, showing the exterior facade of the Classic Cinema in King Street Ramsgate. The yellow on black lettering of the cinema is seen in bright sunshine, as a stream of traffic passes on the sheet outside.

Contextual information

The Classic cinema was one of the original Odeon Theatres built by Oscar Deutsch for his chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. This cinema opened on 22nd August 1936. It had a seating capacity of 1568, 1034 in the stalls and 534 in the circle. It was renamed the Classic from 10th December 1967. The cinema was split and the stalls became a bingo club. In 1983 the Bingo club was converted into a second screen and opened with the screening of 'Flashdance' on 30th June 1983. The 'Classic Cinema' closed on 17th October 1985 with screenings of 'Cocoon' and 'Nightmare on Elm Street'. The cinema was demolished in 1988.