|Title ID||11633||Collection ID||1509|
|Keywords||Bridges Buildings Cars Children Christmas Clothing Cultural Heritage Everyday Life Family Leisure Time Activities Monuments Passenger Vehicles Rivers Roads Sport Winter Domestic Gardens Men Women Shopping|
|Format||16mm Colour Sound|
|Duration||08 min. 30 sec.|
|Copyright & Access||Copyright restrictions apply, contact Screen Archive South East for details.|
This film shows various scenes and activities of people in Canterbury's streets, at a cricket match and at Christmas time.
The film shows many shots of different parts of Canterbury. including:
- a view through the Westgate Towers showing St Peter's Street
- a view of Westgate Gardens and the River Stour
- a view looking from the Westgate Towers looking up St Dunstan's Street
- a view taken from St Georges Street at the junction with Rose Lane showing the National Provincial Bank on corner of Longmarket
- a view of St George's clock tower and the shops in the square including Woolworth's, Zip the cleaners, Clement Clarke & Hills the toyshop
- a view from Lower Bridge Street facing Burgate Lane
- a view looking down St George's Street from Twymans Corner
The film then shows people arriving in the grassy car park for a Cricket match at the St Lawrence ground on Old Dover Road. Different shots show the spectators having tea in the marquees and watching the match. There is also a shot of the Lime tree on the outfield of the pitch, within the boundary line.
The film shows different shots of Canterbury at Christmas:
- a view of the Longmarket including Murdoch's electrical shop, the Roman Pavement, looking towards Burgate with shoppers and Christmas tree lights
- a view from the Burgate end of the Longmarket looking towards the Christchurch Gate
- a view from the top of St George's Street looking towards the Clocktower abd Pricerite's and the Co-operative
- a view of the Mortier organ playing to raise funds for the Mayor's Christmas fund in Burgate Lane
- views at night of the various Christmas lights around the Longmarket area.